History of the Show
The first Honiton Show was held in 1890, the 54th year of Queen Victoria’s reign in fields on Bramble Hill, Honiton.
The Association was then named The Honiton Union District Store Cattle and Poultry Association. Its first president was Viscount Sidmouth. That year the show was held on 2nd October, with admission costing one shilling and a grand after show dinner at the Dolphin Hotel.
Thirty years and a world war later, in 1920 the show moved to Dowell Street and the association was re-named Honiton Union District Agricultural Association. After the second world war in 1946 the classes included Labourers Long Service Awards and judging of the Hunting Hounds. Poultry classes disappeared and dairy cattle were very low on entries; This was due to the rationing taking effect during the war. The year 1948 saw the introduction of The West Of England Hound Show. This was the beginning of what is now one of the largest and most prestigious Hound Shows in the country.
The association, now known as Honiton & District Agricultural Association, celebrated its centenary in 1990 as a limited company and held a special show to commemorate with some 290 trade stands and compared with closer to over 400 in 2013. The association has come a long way since 1890 and is ready for the next one hundred years!